Sometimes darkness sneaks inside my spirit. It circles my brain like a cloud of smoke, pours through my thoughts, and settles inside the crevices of my humanity.
The darkness threatens my joy.
It sucks the energy out of me.
And it leads me to the pantry in search of potato chips.
[tweetability]Yet the darkness can only live in me as long as I agree with its negativity and follow its cravings.[/tweetability]
The darkness does not live inside of me. Jesus does. And He is the LIGHT.
The joy of the holidays is not experienced by all, and I would dare to guess that ninety-eight percent of us experience a few soul shadows (depression) during this season and throughout the year.
Grief haunts some of us as we try to celebrate without a loved one this year or for the twentieth year. A hole in our heart remains for his or her presence. Some of us grieve health. Some grieve lost dreams. While others fight the battle of loneliness.
And some of us are just simply overwhelmed. The demands of life and the extras of Christmas darken our spirits rather than make them shiny.
Whether you are among the two percent who experience joy all through December or you can relate to the soul shadows, I hope that awareness of depression during the holidays will help us help others and overcome the darkness. We are not alone.
Let your light shine my friends. Blow away the dark clouds with His Truth.
I’m so thankful for the birth of the Light of the World.
If you struggle with soul shadows threatening your joy this Christmas, journal them.
- Deposit the shadows on the blank pages. Ask God to change your thoughts.
- Ask the Lord to give you a scripture to counter the darkness. (This may take awhile as you prayerfully search through your Bible.) Write it down.
- Write a prayer of thanksgiving for that Truth you recorded.
- Close your journal and walk away knowing that He’s got your darkness. It no longer lives in you. His Word does.
I know not everyone is a fan of journaling. But I know how much it helps me. There’s power in writing down the scriptures He gives you. There’s something about giving Him all our worries and sadness in ink. And because I feel so strongly about this practice, I am giving away three beautiful leather journals.
How to enter the giveaway:
- Leave a comment. (One entry)
- Subscribe to FPBT if you are not already receiving the posts by email. (One more entry)
- If you know someone who would benefit from this website, invite them to subscribe to FindingPurposeBeyondToday. If they do, leave me another comment or have them comment letting me know who invited them. (Three more entries)
I am thankful for you. And love ya’ll. Thank you for dropping by and letting me share my heart with you.
Jesus loves you,